Trinidadian Guy K.E Beckles is the only practicing Kinetic artist in the English-speaking Caribbean. Beckles, is a graduate of Dartmouth College, USA. It is at that institution that he met and formed a liaison with world renowned designer/artist Peter Minshall. This relationship would span the next three decades. Beckles has been producing his majestic Kinetic work for thirty-three years.
A high school teacher for twenty-six years, Beckles now pursues his craft fulltime. He has travelled extensively throughout North India, North Africa, Western China and Europe and has exhibited in London, New York, Washington DC, Boston and Toronto.
About The Artist
NAME: Guy K. E. Beckles
ADDRESS: 6 Sanora Park
Point Cumana, Carenage, Trinidad, West Indies
TELEPHONE: (868) 637-4814 (Trinidad)
954-227-5024 ( Florida )
347 731 3531 ( New York)
(868) 370-7728 / 476-7333 (Mobile)
facsimile: (868) 633-6191
EDUCATION:* DARTMOUTH COLLEGE
New Hampshire, U.S.A
-Received B.A. Degree, June, 1977 with a Major in Art
-Graduated with Honors
-Senior Art Project graded A.
-Studied Spanish at the University of Granada, Spain, under a Dartmouth language study programme.
-Travelled throughout Europe, North America, North
India, West China and North Africa.
* QUEEN’S ROYAL COLLEGE (1965-1973)
WORK HISTORY:1977 – 2003 – Art teacher at Secondary/High School in Trinidad & Tobago.
- 2003 – Retirement from teaching profession.
- 2004 – Present – Full-time pursuit of Kinetic Art
Also To His Credit
SET DESIGNS AND INSTALLATIONS
- Stage Design – Astor Cinema, Trinidad & Tobago- 1988
“Valentino and Friends”
- Stage Design – Queen’s Hall, Trinidad & Tobago- 1990
“All Stars Steel Orchestra in Concert”
- Booth Design – Trinidad & Tobago Trade Exposition
“Expo ’90″- 1990
- Stage Design – Concert – Queen’s Royal College“Celebration of Excellence”- 1996
- Installation – 20-ft Kinetic center-piece mounted at the
- Centre of Excellence, Trinidad & Tobago, (commissioned
- by NIHERST –The National Institute of Higher Education,
- Research, Science & Technology. – 2004
- Installation – Outdoor Kinetic Installation on façade of
- NIHERST Complex, D’Abadie, Trinidad & Tobago.- 2006
VSC – Vermont Studio Center, Vermont, U.S.A(Mar. – Apr.) – 2001
- Trinidad & Tobago, Art Society- Certificate of Excellence In The Field of Painting- 1984
- Winning Entry-TATIL’s (Trinidad & Tobago Insurance Ltd.) Inaugural Mural Competition- 1987
- Runner Up-Mural Competitionby Central Bank, Trinidad & Tobago- 1989
INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE :
BWIA – British West Indian Airways Ltd.(BWIA)
Artist’s Interview and Works:
- Highlighted on In-Flight Video-Nov. 2000 – Jan. 2001
INTERNATIONAL CREDITS :
“Confounding Categories: The Global and the Local in the Process of a Caribbean Art” – by Philip Scher
Small Axe – A Journal of Criticism: The Art School – Editor: David Scott
“Searching for a Way Out” – by Christopher Cozier
GALERIE – The Art and Design Magazine of the Caribbean
- Editor: Geoffrey MacLean
“The Art of Trinidad and Tobago”-by Sastri Maraj
Visual Arts for Secondary Schools -Caribbean Educational Publishers
“Trinidad and Tobago Through the Eye of the Artist:from Cazabon to the Millennium” – Exhibition at the Commonwealth Institute, London, Oct. 28, ’97 – March 29, ’98. Published by Independence Cultural Committee for 35th Anniversary of Independence of the Republic of Trinidad &Tobago:Producer: Patrick Edwards, Trinidad & Tobago Deputy High Commissioner, London, England.